Talawanda fall sports season concludes; Two athletes headed to state championships

The Talawanda Brave’s 15-8 volleyball team in its win against Taylore on Sept. 20.

Photo provided by Talawanda School District

By Grace Callahan

The Talawanda High School Brave have concluded its regular fall 2021 athletic season, with two athletes, seniors Kiefer Bell and Hannah Lippincott of the boys’ and girls’ cross country teams, heading to their respective state championship tournaments Saturday, Nov. 6.

Boys’ Cross Country

Cross Country star Kiefer Bell, who competes in the state championships on Saturday, Nov. 6, is congratulated on the Brave Twitter account. Photo provided by Talawanda School District

The boys’ varsity cross country team, coached by Paul Stiver, finished its season as the SWOC champions and ninth in the region.

Seniors Bell and Logan Murray and junior Eliot Berberich ranked as the top three Southwest Ohio Conference (SWOC) runners of the fall 2021 season.

Coach Stiver received the SWOC coach of the year award. Bell received the runner of the year award. 

Hannah Lippincott, star of the girls’ cross country team, also will be at the state championships on Saturday, and was lauded on the Brave Twitter feed.

Girls’ Cross Country

The girls’ varsity cross country team, also coached by Stiver, finished its season as the SWOC champions as well.

Lippincott and freshman Lucia Rodbro ranked as the top two SWOC runners of the fall 2021 season.

Lippincott received the runner of the year award.  

The Talawanda football team huddles up with first year coach Jay Volker. Photo provided by Talawanda High School

Football

The varsity football team, led by coach Jay Volker in his debut season, finished with an overall record of 2-7. Among the team’s wins were a 7-0 victory against Carroll High School and a 30-6 defeat of Northwest High School.

Senior quarterback Deondre Bothast-Revalee ranked third for rushing yards in the SWOC with 1,093 total yards rushed. 

Volleyball

The varsity volleyball team, coached by Ruchelle Dunwoody, concluded its season with an overall win-loss record of 15-8. The team had a seven match winning streak from Sept. 7 to Sept. 20. The team lost in its first playoff match at Oak Hills. Sophomore Leah Noga ranked third in the SWOC for assists in the season with 411 total assists. 

Boys’ Soccer

The boys’ varsity soccer team, coached by Heath Kelly, ended its season with a 10-6-1 record. The team won four consecutive games from Sept. 2 to Sept. 16.

Senior Parker Geshan ranked second in the SWOC for saves with a total 124 in the season.

“We gave each match one hundred percent. These days of battle together were days well spent,” Coach Kelly tweeted after the team’s final game of the season. 

Girls’ Soccer

The girls’ varsity soccer team, coached by Brian Clark, finished its season with a 6-9-2 record. The team won its first playoff game against Middletown High School 4-1, but finished the season with a loss in the playoffs at Mason.

Junior McKenzie Hanson ranked second among offensive leaders in the SWOC for the fall 2021 season with 41 points and 17 goals. 

Field Hockey

The varsity field hockey team, coached by Janet Holmes, concluded its season with a 0-11 record. The team has 17 players.

Boys’ Golf

The boys’ varsity golf team, coached by Don Gloeckner, rounded out its season with a 15-8 record.

Sophomore Aidan Bruder ranks fifth in the SWOC with an average score of 42.10 and 198 holes. The team placed second in the SWOC tournament with a total score of 357.

Girls’ Golf

The girls’ varsity golf team, coached by Scott Davie, concluded its season with a 5-9 record.

Sophomore Keylee Goerss ranks eighth in the SWOC with an average score of 48.00 and 126 holes. The team placed third in the SWOC tournament with a score of 437.

Girls’ Tennis

The girls’ varsity tennis team, coached by Pete Thomas, finished its season with an overall record of 9-11. Coach Thomas received the SWOC coach of the year award.