Oxford City Council hosts community-based leadership event

Oxford City Council candidates will discuss how to make community-based changes through leadership in a 7 p.m. presentation, Tuesday, Oct. 26, at the Wilk’s Theater in Miami University’s Armstrong Student Center.

The event “Lesson in Leadership: Meet Your Local Change Makers,” is hosted by Miami’s 

Harry T. Wilks Institute for Leadership and Service. Incumbents David Prytherch and Chantel Raghu, along with newcomers Amber Franklin and Alex French are unopposed for election to the four open seats on the council. All four are expected to attend the event and will discuss what campaigning is like and how they plan to enact change in a continuously changing world. 

The event is free and open to the public.

The event will be a moderated panel, with some of the questions coming from the Wilks Institute, and others that will be submitted through social media. Questions can be submitted on Instagram @RedHawksCount. The event will be live streamed and questions can also be asked through the chat function. 

“Because there has been so much involvement with city council, the Institute wanted to showcase them to the students so they could get a better idea of what the role of city council is,” sophomore Cameron Tiefenthaler said. Tiefenthaler is a double major in political science and human capital management and leadership and works at the Wilks Institute. 

A month ago, the Wilks Institute held a voter registration drive that was focused on getting students to vote in Oxford’s local races this November. 

The panel is expected to run for about an hour, followed by a reception and refreshments, during which the audience will be able to speak directly to the candidates and members of the Wilks Institute.