Kramer students raise money for playground equipment

Photo by Kaylee Olmsted

Stephanie Pearson opens a discussion about the students’ dreams for a new playground and the steps needed to make it happen.

By Kaylee Olmsted

Kramer Elementary School’s playground is scheduled to be torn down this summer. 

The current playground isn’t up to code. The ladder leading to the sliding pole is completely broken, said student Nora Aerni. Another student, Ava Perkins, said there is inappropriate language graffitied in different spots on the playsets. The list of grievances from Stephanie Pearson’s third-grade class was endless. 

Stephanie Pearson’s Kramer Elementary third grade class poses in front of the web site they made to raise money for new playground equipment. The students are Nora Aerni, Naomi Bloodsaw, Simone Corbin, Emersyn Cron, Jack Fisher, Shayden Gabbard, Landon Hammons, Leo Holland, Nico Morales, Ava Perkins, Luna Pradanos, Bailee Ramey, Keira Ransdell, Kaleb Smith, Chris Stokes and Avery Williams. Photo by Kaylee Olmsted

Pearson said Principal Merz has a plan to install a new big playground structure in place of the old one, which will take place in July. However, the open field area that now has swingsets, monkey bars, and other things for the students to play on will be left empty. 

To begin their plan of action, Pearson’s class brainstormed their dream playground that would go into the empty space. Some voted for a zipline, and Luna Pradanos dreamed of having a stage where she could sing. 

“We dreamed big,” Pearson said. “I love the dream, keep it alive.” 

After making a dream plan, the group worked together to decide what playground pieces would benefit everyone. 

The colorful playground structure in the background of this photo will be torn down and replaced in July, but there are no plans to replace the equipment in this field area. Stephanie Pearson’s third-grade class and Kramer Elementary are working to raise money to fill this space.
Photo by Kaylee Olmsted

“This isn’t just Miss Pearson’s project, this is for all of Kramer,” Pearson said. 

The Oxford Masonic Lodge will host a car show at Kramer from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 17, with all money donated to go toward the Kramer playground project. Community members can also make direct donations. More information about ways to help with this event can be found on this website created by the students in Pearson’s class. 

“We’re opening the website to not convince people but to tell them how to donate and why,” Nora said.

The class is working to raise a goal of $40,000 by July which will fund two gaga pits, two swing sets, one outdoor music station, and one picnic table to fill the field space. 

“Take care of Kramer, take care of yourself, take care of others,” third-grader Ava Perkins said. “That’s the Kramer code.”