Talawanda runner finishes third in state championship

Kiefer Bell (in red) in the #3 spot on the winner’s platform at last week’s state cross country championships

Photo provided by Talawanda High School

Kiefer Bell made Talawanda cross country history at the state championships, placing third in the boy’s Division I race this past Saturday, Nov. 6. Hannah Lippincott, of Talawanda’s girls team, placed 64th in the girl’s Division I race.

Hannah Lippincott of the Talawanda girls cross country team, also went to the state championships, placing 64th. Photo provided by Talawanda High School

On the Friday, before the race, Bell and Lippincott were sent off by an assembly line of cheering students and staff and a serenade from the school’s marching band

According to Talawanda cross country coach Paul Stiver, this year marked Bell’s third time at state and Lippincott’s second. 

In other Talawanda sports news, senior swimmer Mercy Patterson committed to Miami University to continue her academic and athletic career. Patterson officially signed with Miami on Wednesday, Nov. 10.

Kiefer Bell with his third-place medal. Photo provided by Talawanda High School

The performances of Bell and Lippincott at the state championships marked the end of Talawanda’s fall sports season.

The school’s winter athletic season is underway with two hockey games played and a hockey game and girls’ basketball game scheduled for the coming week.