Miami breaks ground on McVey Data Science Building

Miami+officials+and+Miami+alumnus+Richard+McVey+break+ground+on+the+McVey+Data+Science+Building.+

Photo provided by the Miami Alumni Association

Miami officials and Miami alumnus Richard McVey break ground on the McVey Data Science Building.

Miami University broke ground Monday, Oct. 25, for the $20 million McVey Data Science Building on Talawanda Road between Benton and Withrow Halls. 

Miami alumnus Rick McVey returned to campus for the groundbreaking ceremony. His $20 million gift to fund the center is among the top five single financial gifts ever bestowed on the university. 

McVey graduated from Miami in 1981 with a degree in finance. In 2000, he founded MarketAxess, a data science company that acts as a trading platform for both institutional investors and dealers.

An artist’s rendering of the McVey Data Science, which will house multidisciplinary students coming from five academic departments.
Photo provided by Miami University

McVey spoke at the ceremony and explained that data science is making its way into all parts of the working world. “It is time for Miami to take a bold step forward to prepare all students with data science skills,” McVey said.

The new building will house multidisciplinary students from the following departments:

• Emerging Technology in Business and Design (ETDB)
  • Statistics
  • Computer Science
  • Software Engineering
  • Center for Analytics and Data Science (CADS)

The building will also include a partnership with the Farmer School of Business’s Department of Information Systems and Analytics.