Widespread vaccinations bring end to health orders

By Sara Coy

On Thursday afternoon, President Joe Biden walked out of the White House in his usual suit and tie, but for the first time in over a year, the outfit was not accompanied by a mask. 

Biden has followed the advice of scientists throughout his time in office, so when the CDC announced individuals who have been vaccinated for at least two weeks no longer needed to mask up or physically distance in most cases, he followed that advice. 

“We will rebuild our economy, reclaim our lives and get back to normal,” Biden said alongside Vice President Harris in the Rose Garden. “We’ll laugh again, we’ll smile again, and now, see one another’s smile.”

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine released similar updates to the state. On Wednesday evening in his address to Ohioans, DeWine announced that the Ohio Department of Health will be ending health orders on June 2, 2021 as the cases reached 119.9 per 100,000 people.

Ohio has continued its efforts to encourage people to get vaccinated, but as of May 12, it implemented a slightly new approach. DeWine said on Twitter that each week, beginning May 26, a winner will be announced from a drawing of adults who have received at least their first vaccine. For five consecutive Wednesdays, these lucky winners each will win $1 million. 

After the CDC gave the go-ahead Wednesday for anyone ages 12 and over to get vaccinated, DeWine also offered vaccinations for those 17 and under. Each week a person in this group who has been vaccinated will receive a full, four-year scholarship to any state university in Ohio, according to DeWine.

Miami University President, Gregory Crawford, shared a Year-End Message with students and faculty on Thursday, thanking everyone for their resilience in such a challenging and different year. So far more than 3,700 employees and students received the Pfizer vaccine. Because of this effort, in addition to the diligent COVID-19 testing programs, the university plans to return to face-to-face instruction in phases throughout the summer and entirely in the fall, Crawford said.

Miami President Gregory Crawford said in a digital message Thursday that COVID restrictions will be eased as the summer moves forward. Screenshot taken from Crawford’s message

“To our students, thank you for your flexibility and adaptability,” Crawford said in his digital message. “You adjusted to changes in the structural format involving public health guidance and a rigorous testing program. What you have experienced over the last year has built strength that will carry you through the rest of your life.”

Mass vaccination sites and mobile clinics are operating in dozens of cities and more information on exact locations can be found on The Ohio Department of Health’s Website or by calling +1 (833) 427-5634 between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m.