Three Miami football players charged in fraternity brawl

Kayla Kamil

The Theta Chi house on Bishop Street was the scene of a violent brawl on Oct. 3.

By Kayla Kamil

Four people were charged, including three Miami University football players, in connection with the Oct. 3 brawl at Miami University’s Theta Chi fraternity that sent four fraternity members to the hospital. 

James Bomba, 19, was charged with assault and criminal trespass. Dimitrios “Dimitri” Mitsopoulos, 19, was charged with multiple counts of assault and criminal trespass, as well as disorderly conduct. Terrell “TJ” Rush, 18, also faces a trespass charge. 

Bomba, Mitsopoulos and Rush all are freshmen on the Miami RedHawks football team.

“All three of the football players are suspended from all team activities immediately and remain suspended from the program indefinitely,” Carole Johnson, interim director of news and communications for the university, said in a statement issued Tuesday.

As of Thursday, Bomba and Rush are still listed on the team’s roster. Mitsopoulos has been removed from the team’s roster and is no longer listed on the official university directory. On Tuesday, Oct. 27, the day the charges were announced, Mitsopoulos entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal, making him available to be recruited by other universities. 

In addition, Santiago Sandrini, 18, has been charged with two counts of criminal trespass. Online records show he attended St. John’s Jesuit High School in Toledo with Mitsopoulos. His social media accounts state that he is a student at Michigan State University, but the school did not respond to requests for confirmation of his enrollment. 

The incident occurred at the Theta Chi house, located at 310 N. Bishop St. Four Theta Chi fraternity members were transported to McCullough-Hyde Hospital to be treated for injuries sustained during the attack. All were released the same night.  

Police reports from that night state that the suspects attacked fraternity members as they were sitting around a fire outside. Responding officers indicated that the attackers were armed with a blunt object, which witnesses confirmed to be golf clubs. 

According to the police report, witnesses at the fraternity told the investigating officers that Mitsopoulos and Sandrini had shown up uninvited at a gathering at the house the previous night and had refused to leave, causing some fraternity members to physically remove the two from the house. 

The next night, Sandrini and Mitsopoulos returned to the residence with a group of 25 to 30 people, according to witness statements included in the report. Witnesses to the altercation have said they noticed some of the attackers wearing Miami athletic gear, leading them to believe the perpetrators were in some way related to the football team.

On Tuesday, Rush released a statement to Cincinnati news outlet WLWT stating that he was not involved in the incident and that all charges against him were dropped. 

Oxford Police Lt. Lara Fening said that those statements are false, and no charges against Rush were dropped. 

Rush and Bomba are scheduled to appear for arraignment on Nov. 5 in Oxford Area Court. 

Arraignment dates for Mitsopoulos and Sandrini have not yet been set. 

Efforts to reach those charged or their lawyers for comment were not successful.

In a statement released Tuesday, the university said it is conducting its own investigation of the incident now that the criminal investigation is over to determine if university rules were violated that could result in discipline by the university.  “Students who engage in misconduct face student disciplinary action up to and including suspension or dismissal,” the statement said.