Miami to offer ‘Safe Zone’ training

Miami University’s Regional Office of Student Activities and Orientation (ROSA) hosted two Safe Zone training sessions this week with several other on-campus groups to educate the community on LGBTQ+ identities and experiences. 

ROSA, along with the Center for Student Diversity & Inclusion, the Regional Center for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, and PRIDE held two sessions of Safe Zone Training 101: LGBTQ+ Basics. This virtual training was the first of several in the multipart program to educate students, faculty, staff and community members.

According to Miami’s Center for Student Diversity and Inclusion’s website, the goal of this Safe Zone training is to foster inclusivity for all sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions. The program wants to prepare people to create an environment where everyone thrives personally, academically and professionally.

The next course in the program, Safe Zone 201: Trans and Nonbinary,  is tfrom  2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 22, in Kreger Hall room 207. A virtual session will take place from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday, March 30.

According to the Center for Student Diversity & Inclusion website, anyone interested in participating must complete Safe Zone 101 training first, which will occur again on Feb. 17. Registration can be done through the center’s website.