Winter season kicks off for Talawanda sports

The varsity hockey team won a preseason game against Springboro High School Nov. 5.

Photo provided by Talawanda High School

By Grace Callahan

The regular winter 2021-2022 athletic season of the Talawanda Brave began Friday, Nov. 5, with a hockey game at Springboro High School and was followed by an academic challenge team tournament Saturday, Nov. 6. Though the other winter sports teams have yet to compete, the Brave have a full schedule of competitions coming up.

Boys Basketball

The boys basketball team plays its first regular season game Nov. 27 at Preble Shawnee High School. Photo provided by Talawanda High School

The boys varsity basketball team will play its first regular game Saturday, Nov. 27, at Preble Shawnee High School. The team has a total of 22 games on its current 2021-2022 schedule. The 13 varsity basketball players are led by head coach Scott Davie. 

Girls Basketball

The girls varsity basketball team will play its first game Friday, Nov. 19, against Monroe High School. The team has 22 games on its 2021-2022 schedule. The 21 varsity basketball players are led by head coach Mary Jo Huismann.

Hockey

The varsity hockey team won its first preseason game at Springboro High School, Friday, Nov. 5. The team has 18 games and six tournaments on its schedule. The 14 hockey players are led by head coach Jack Spaulding. “I’m excited to get the first game under our belts this weekend and try to get a good start in the league with our first league game on Saturday,” Spaulding said.

Swimming and Diving

Swimming and Diving season begins Dec. 14 with a meet against Wilmington and Clinton Massie High Schools. Photo provided by Talawanda High School

The varsity swimming and diving team will compete in its first meet Tuesday, Dec. 14, against Wilmington High School and Clinton Massie High School. The team has 17 meets on its schedule. The 28 swimmers and divers are led by head coach Steve Pasquale.

Bowling

The varsity bowling team will play its first match Tuesday, Nov. 30, versus Middletown High School at Oxford Lanes. The team has 13 matches and four tournaments on its schedule. The 10 bowlers are led by head coach Andrew Nieman.

Academic Challenge

The academic challenge team has competed in two tournaments, one Nov. 6 and one Nov. 13. The team has won six games total in their tournaments so far and qualified for regionals at the Nov. 13 tournament. The team has five varsity and 10 junior varsity players for the 2021-2022 season. The players are led by Coach Scott Schmid.

“We’ve won our league the last couple of years,” Schmid said. “So, I hope to do that again.”