Miami University cancels spring break to slow the spread of COVID-19

The traditional weeklong spring break at Miami University has been canceled for 2021 because of COVID-19. Instead, students are being given five individual days off, spaced throughout the semester, during which they are encouraged to read, relax and recharge, while staying on campus. Hammocks are optional.

File photo by Miami University

By Alli Tithof

Miami University canceled its 2021 spring break to avoid the spread of the coronavirus from student travel.

Instead of a weeklong spring break, the university has broken up the five days into individual no-class reading days placed mostly mid-week throughout the semester, which begins Jan. 25. Those five days will be: Wednesday, Feb. 17; Tuesday, March 9; Thursday, March 25; Monday, April 12 and Friday, May 7.

“We have a pandemic and the one way it spreads is by people traveling and interacting and that is what people do for spring break.” said Jason Osborne, Miami’s provost. “If we give too much of a one block then people are going to travel and spread the virus and get sick.”

According to an email sent to the Miami community from Osborne, last year spring break seemed to have been a significant contributor to the national spread of COVID-19. Therefore, Miami University has decided spring break represents an unacceptable risk to the ability to have an on-campus spring semester. Faculty and students are urged to use the five “wellness days,” to catch up on work, and to recharge, Osborne said in his email.

Some students, however, are not thrilled about the cancellation of the traditional spring break and can think of other ways to rest and recharge. “I am very upset that spring break is canceled,” said Cayla Coburn, a Miami sophomore. “I was looking forward to spending a week with my family and friends in Maryland.” 

Nicole Sann, a sophomore, planned on enjoying her spring break on the beach. “I was so excited to get away for a week and enjoy the sun in Florida,”  Sann said. “I’m so sad that spring break is canceled and that I won’t get to have my week at the beach.” 

“It may seem like we are trying to take away all of the fun.” said Osborne. “But we are just trying to keep people safe.”