Students plead guilty to Hillel property vandalism

Provided by Hillel

A screenshot from the video from Hillel’s security cameras were shared with Oxford Police.

Three students who vandalized a temporary religious structure on Miami University’s Hillel property have pleaded guilty to misdemeanor vandalism charges. 

Kevin Ladriere, 20, Eli Lauger, 20, and Santiago Arenas,19, knocked over a sukkah, a hut used to celebrate the Jewish holiday of Sukkot, in the early morning hours of Oct. 15. 

Initially charged with felonies for vandalism, the Butler County Area Court amended charges to misdemeanors after the Oxford Police department was unable to find antisemitic motives in the act. The students pleaded guilty on Nov. 17, according to court records.

Each student was fined $750. The students will also split a charge of $1,099 owed for damage to the sukkot.

University officials declined to comment on the status of possible disciplinary proceedings against the students. We are only able to share that the university has a code of conduct and a subsequent process that we engage in when presented with a report of alleged violations,” the director of communications for student life at Miami wrote in an email.