Middle school locks down after multiple student threats

Two students were taken into custody after making separate threats toward peers at Talawanda Middle School, prompting a modified lockdown Wednesday, May 25. 

Neither threat was carried out and no one was injured. During the modified lockdown, classes continued as usual but visitors were restricted from the school. 

The lockdown was initiated after the administration was informed of a threat from one student toward another at the school, according to a press release posted to Talawanda’s website. The student making the threat did not attend classes Wednesday and was not present in the building.

City of Oxford Police located the middle school student who allegedly made the threat, but determined that it was not credible, according to a statement from the department. 

Although no charges were filed as a result of the incident, the juvenile was taken to the Butler County Juvenile Detention Center for “prior unrelated charges for a probation violation.”

TMS administration lifted the lockdown after the student was in custody.

Police said they were “notified that another student who was at the school had made threatening comments toward the occupants of the school” near the end of the school day. That student was taken into custody and charged with making terroristic threats and also transported to the juvenile detention center, according to the police statement. 

In December, a similar lockdown was prompted following the discovery of a written threat in the Talawanda Middle School bathroom.