Miami student seriously injured after he jumped off roof while on LSD

By Charis Whalen

A Miami University student who reportedly had taken LSD, jumped off the third floor roof of the Gaslight Apartment Complex about 8:45 p.m. Monday, according to Oxford Police.

The male student was taken by the Oxford Life Squad to McCullough-Hyde Hospital and then airlifted to University of Cincinnati Medical Center, where he remained as of Thursday, according to police. 

Police are withholding the student’s name because they are investigating possible drug charges against him, said Police Chief John Jones. 

According to the police report, officers were dispatched to the apartment complex, 239 Gaslight Ave., after a 911 call reported the jumper had gone off the building. Officers found the student on the ground in the parking lot, unable to speak, suffering serious injuries.

According to the report, the student’s roommates said he was “acting a little strangely,” before walking onto the rooftop terrace and jumping. He apparently was the only person on the terrace at the time.

Upon investigating the student’s apartment, an OPD officer heard the cries of another male student sitting on the floor, holding his dog and “clearly under the influence of some substance,” according to the police report. 

In the room, police found a box that contained a foil wrapper full of LSD tablets. The student in the room confirmed that both he and the male who jumped from the roof of the building had taken a tablet each. The second student was transported to McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital at the request of the police and treated for LSD consumption. Police also refused to identify him while the investigation is ongoing.

Police Lt. Lara Fening said LSD cases are relatively rare in Oxford and the department sees “a few at most,” during a normal year.